Guided Belize Fly Fishing, Garbutt’s Fishing Lodge, Punta Gorda Belize
For over fifteen years, The Garbutt Brothers- Scully, Oliver, Eworth and Dennis have been guiding the waters of Punta Gorda
, east to Sapodilla Cayes, and north to Placencia. After much time spent working for several lodges throughout the region, they have their own fishing lodge, a new fly fishing- focused operation with the best location in all of Southern Belize.
The Garbutt brothers are well respected and considered to be among the best fly fishing guides in Belize, and the world! The lodge is a completely family run operation, Dennis serves as the lodge manager while Scully, Oliver, and Eworth take on the guiding duties. Even the fresh home cooked meals served daily are prepared by one of the female Garbutt family members. The friendly, laid back atmosphere often makes guests feel like part of the family during their stay in Punta Gorda.
The lodge is family friendly and caters to children, while offering an array of non –angling activities such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking and much more.
Fly Fishing Information
- Southern Belize offers some of the worlds best saltwater flats for those anglers who seek permit on the fly. It’s the primary target species, and is the reason most fly fishers choose this destination. Permit are found here year round.
- Some seasonal migratory tarpon can also be found in the area with March through August being the best months, as well as juvenile resident tarpon year round.
-The Rio Grande River offers excellent fly fishing opportunities, for monster sized snook and are most accessible during the dry season months of January-May.
- The outer reef islands of the Sapodilla Cayes offer large numbers of bonefish, averaging 2-3 pounds, with the occasional 4-5 pound fish. Fishing the reef requires a significant amount of travel time, and can sometimes be a rough ride.
Barracuda & Jacks
- Both of these fierce predator species can be found on and around the permit flats, as well as in the reef islands of the Sapodilla Cayes.
Private guest cabanas built on stilts have a view that overlooks both the creek and the ocean. The location is perfect, as the ocean breeze helps keeps the rooms cool and comfortable.
Newly Constructed Cabins Feature:
- Two Beds
- Private bath, with hot shower
- Cable TV
- Fly Rod Rack
- Ocean View Balcony
- Free Wi-Fi internet
Each private cabana is within steps from the lodge’s private dock where anglers depart every morning.
The main lodge building overlooks Joe Taylor Creek and the boat dock on the back-side, and the Caribbean Sea to the other side. The upstairs of the main lodge building is where you will find the “Grand Slam Bar” equipped with a full sized dining room, TV and bar area.
The current lodge capacity is for maximum 6 anglers.
Food & Beverage
Fishing and accommodation packages include a meal plan that consist of three meals a day, and usually something to snack on before dinner. Most meals are home cooked by a member of the Garbutt family, and feature fresh authentic Creole cuisine. The menu consists of chicken, pork, seafood, fresh vegetables with rice and beans.
Local Belizean beverages are also included in the package. (Beers, domestic spirits and soft drinks).
Boats and Equipment
The Garbutt brothers run 23 foot super pangas, their boats are designed to run over open water, and are ideal for polling the saltwater flats. These boats are designed for fly fishing with polling platforms and large casting decks.
The lodge has a limited selection of loaner rods, we recommend that anglers bring their own rods, reels, terminal tackle and flies.